The photo shows two juvenile Red Sailfin Mollies (above) and a red Swordtail/Platy hybrid (below, for color contrast).
I continue to work on new molly strains. For a long time now I’ve wanted to develop a Red Sailfin Molly. I’ve tried various crosses with no discernible progress. Then, about a year ago while sorting through our Goldwag Sailfin Mollies (for more information on this strain see this blog and the Goldwag Sailfin product page), I found some fish that were reddish rather than gold. They were set aside as Redwag Sailfin Mollies (I often, with experimental strains, name them for what I want them to become rather than what they are at the time).
The Redwag Sailfin Mollies have gone through a couple of generations since then with some improvement. While processing them in May this year, I found four juvenile non-wags that had brick red coloration. Three will probably be female and one male, an ideal sex ration for a new strain. The photo shows two of these and a red swordtail/platy F1 hybrid. It demonstrates that the Red Sailfins are at least a brick red color. With luck I should be able to improve the red.
I set up the four Red Sailfin Mollies in a breeding vat. Once I get enough of them I plan to select for redder color and, as well, mate some of them to Silver Sailfin Mollies in hopes of producing a brighter red similar to the swordtail velvet red.
As I often point out, a significant part of fish breeding is serendipity. The rest is persistence.